BarterQuest is committed to protecting your privacy. We will use the information that you provide to us only as described below. The personally identifiable information that you provide to BarterQuest will never be rented, sold or otherwise provided to any third party for their marketing purposes without your explicit consent. Certain personal information may be disclosed to third parties in connection with and as necessitated by our normal provision of services, or in the ordinary course of your trading activity where there is no expectation of privacy, or for marketing or promotional purposes, but only in an aggregated form that is not personally identifiable. We will not otherwise provide your personal information to any third party without your explicit consent unless compelled by subpoena, court order or substantially similar legal procedure, or when we believe in good faith that the disclosure of information is necessary to prevent imminent physical harm or financial loss or to report an illegal activity. We consider the protection of your privacy as a critical community principle.
The privacy policies described in this statement apply to our services available under the domain and sub-domains of www.BarterQuest.com and generally to our subsidiary and joint venture Web sites. We store and process your information on computers located in the United States that are protected by physical as well as technological security measures. Furthermore, BarterQuest has instituted procedures designed to safeguard your personal information. The privacy of your information is protected by and subject to the laws of the United States.
A Special Note about Children
Children under the age of 18 are not eligible to use our site without the supervision of a parent or guardian. BarterQuest does not permit children under the age of 13 to use or access our site. BarterQuest will not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13.
The Information We Collect
You can browse through our site for the HAVES and WANTS of potential trading partners and search for their HAVES and WANTS using keywords without providing any personal information. To register you have to provide us with your name and email address and you are no longer anonymous to us. Thereafter, you are required to provide such personal information as may be necessary to complete a trade and to pay the related fees. We indicate throughout the site which fields are required and which are optional in order to effectuate your trade.
As part of your trading experience, we may collect the following information:
- Contact information, including your home address and phone number
- Personal and business references
- Credit card payment information
- Your shipping or delivery address(es)
- Feedback on your performance as a trading partner
- Demographic information, such as gender, age, occupation and household income
- Information relevant to user surveys and special offers
We may collect other types of information when you are visiting our Web site:
- Information contained in user to user correspondence on our site and in correspondence sent directly to BarterQuest
- Information that you may voluntarily provide as part of your profile
- Information collected through standard Internet tools such as Web beacons that enables us to track your use of the BarterQuest site in order to customize services and target market
- Information collected automatically on our server logs that maps your use of various site locations and can be used to identify users’ trends, including the URL you previously visited and the URL you are next visiting, your IP address, your browser type and language, and your dates and times of site access
We may also collect information about you from third parties, as permitted by applicable law and regulation, as such information may be reasonably required by BarterQuest in connection with your trading activity. If your personal information cannot be properly verified, we may request additional information as contained in your driver’s license, credit card statement, or utility bill.
How We Use Your Information
- Alert users to specific trading opportunities and/or the actions they may need to take to effect a trade
- Complete successful trades with reliable trading partners
- Customize the trading experience
- Facilitate the shipping and/or delivery of items from one trading partner to the other
- Collect fees
- Resolve disputes
- Enhance the “user friendly” Web design and optimize the site’s functionality
- Correct problems with and improve the automatic matching and trading systems
- Inform users of special opportunities (targeted to their interests), new services as and when available, and news of general interest to the BarterQuest community
- Improve our marketing and promotional efforts
- Protect against fraud or other illegal activity
Your personal information may be disclosed to third parties in our normal course of doing business and in the process of trading. This includes third parties that we may use in order to provide certain services or products through or in connection with our site. In all such cases these internal service providers are subject to confidentiality agreements and other legal restrictions that limit their use of personal information to their provision of the specific BarterQuest related services or products.
Your personal information may be disclosed to advertisers and other third parties for their marketing or promotional purposes, but only in the form of aggregated data on the BarterQuest community as a whole that cannot be used to identify individual users. We do not disclose personally identifiable information to these third parties without your explicit consent. If you would like more information about the practice of third party advertisers to use your information in order to provide ads about goods and services that may be of interest to you and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, you can visit www.networkadvertising.org.
Certain personal information is routinely displayed on our site in connection with your trading activity, such as your profile, your user name and the trading activities associated with your user name, and feedback on your trading performance. To arrange for shipping and/or delivery and complete a trade, your trading partners will be able to access your contact information, including your email address, and preferred delivery address. This personal information is by its nature public and there can be no expectation of privacy with respect to this information.
Your Use of the Personal Information of Others
Unfortunate Limitations to Internet Privacy